How do I connect Neptune to my computer?
The steps below work for Vista, XP (Service Pack 2 or 3 must be installed) or Parallels 3.0/4.0/5.0 on an Intel based Mac.
On a Mac, install Parallels and then the Guest operating system: XP, Vista, or Windows 7. Bring it up to date with Microsoft Update before starting the steps below. The IrDA adapter you use need not be compatible with the Mac, but must run under the Guest operating system you install.
Step 1: Install IrDA interface
- If your computer has a built-in IrDA port, make sure it is enabled in the BIOS (Dell laptops especially).
- Install the driver for your IrDA port - this driver should be on the CD with your IrDA device. The "Add New Hardware Wizard" should install the driver automatically. If you have problems, check with the IrDA manufacturer.
- If your computer does not have IrDA, there are several USB and Serial adapters on the market.
Step 2: Set up COMM port
- We recommend the use of the IrCOMM2k driver to create a Virtual IR COM Port, even if your computer bios allows the IrDA port to be configured as a COM port.
- The IrCOMM2k Driver version 1.2.1 is included on the Mini CD included with your Neptune, and it can be downloaded here. (Only version 1.2.1 of IrCOMM2k is compatible with Neptune. Version 2 does not work with Neptune.)
- Once you've downloaded IrCOMM2k, open the .zip file and double-click on 'setup.exe'. This will begin the installation of IrCOMM2k on your machine.
- Click 'Continue with Installation' if you see a message that Microsoft has not tested this software.
- Select the port to which IrCOMM2k should be installed (higher numbers, i.e. 7, 8 or 9 usually work best). Write this number down; Paralog will ask for it later.
Step 3: Disable competing software / settings
- Turn off 'Image Transfer' in Wireless Link settings (found in Windows Control Panel).
- Disable ActiveSync, Palm HotSync, and any other pda and /or cell phone software.
- Switch all Windows 'Regional and Language Options' to English (US) -- details in step 5 below.
- There may be software programs utilizing IrDA of which we are unaware and have not tested for compatibility. These programs may not allow the NMU to run properly; no guarantees are made that the NMU will work on every system.
Step 4: Download .NET framework
- If you need the .Net framework, it can be downloaded from the Microsoft website, here: .NET 2.0 Download
- To see if you already have .NET 2.0, go to 'Add/Remove Programs' in the Windows Control Panel; .NET will be listed if you have it.
Step 5 (non-English users only): Set Windows Regional & Language Options
- Windows translates parts of the Neptune code incorrectly in some languages.
- Make the changes in all three locations shown in the attached screen shots of the Regional and Language Options tabs.
Last edited by Tim Henderson; Jan 5, 10 at 13:35.
Reason: add references to Parallels 5.0, Windows 7